Alvaro Franklin da Silveira (Urandi/BA – 1935)
Sculptor, widely known in Brazil and abroad, started his career with his grandfather,
who taught him melt modeling, cast shaping and forge service.
During the period between 1948/1956, studied carving at SENAI, modeling and
sculpture at Liceu de Artes e Ofícios, in São Paulo. Also studied arts, as
a general rule, with masters in arts like Mr. Galilei Emendabili e
Mr. Vicente Larocca, besides others. He also made master courses in Plastic
Arts and History of Art.
In 1957, transferred to Rio Grande do Sul, where started his research about
Indian, African and Latin Art. During this period was also devoted to artistic
ceramics and painting. He started, also a Philosophy course at the Catholic
University, in Pelotas.
During the period between 1966/1974 took part in many exhibitions as invited
artist in the most important art galleries in Rio Grande do Sul and São Paulo.
He also made an individual exhibition named: “Psique-Pintura”, at Pancetti
Gallery of Art, in Porto Alegre/RS.
From 1975 he devoted his self to sculpture only, becoming one of the exclusive
artists of the Office of Art Renato Magalhães Gouvêa (“Escritório de Arte -
Renato Magalhães Gouvêa”), taking part in a series of collective exhibitions
and different projects in São Paulo and other cities of Brazil. We can mention
as most important the listed below:
- Collective Exhibition named: “Arte no Brasil – Uma História de V Séculos”,
at the Modern Art Museum, in São Paulo/SP;
- Collective Exhibition named: “Escultura Brasileira”, at Artes-Paço Gallery,
- Execution of different Art Projects to DURATEX Company, in São Paulo/SP;
- Collective Exhibition named: “Um século no Brasil”, at the Modern Art
Museum, in São Paulo/SP;
- Took part at the exhibition “Alumínio na Arte”, together with other 5 artists,
invited by ALCOA Aluminum S.A. Company, in São Paulo/SP;
- Took part at the book named: “Bandeiras de Brecheret” (History of a Monument),
by Marta Rossetti Batista, published in 1985;
- Took part at the collective exhibition named: “10 Paulistas em Brasília”,
promoted by Pronav/LBA, in Brasília/DF;
- Invited by Salles Inter American Advertising Agency, to execute 70 exclusive
sculptures, in bronze;
- Executes different sculptures, in marble, to new wing of Israeli Hospital
“Albert Einstein”, in São Paulo/ SP.
From 1993 on, started a partnership with Mr. Claudio Alonso, collector and
merchant in the EUA, which supported him to include many sculptures in private
collections in different countries, like: France, Spain, Italy, Holland,